Saturday, March 6, 2010

What's Not To Like?

The Winter Olympics saw host country Canada take the most gold medals. The United States earned the most overall medals. To most Canadians, the hockey gold seemed to be a must win, with the very reputation of the nation at stake. Last Sunday while the gold medal game was underway, I was watching it in a local restaurant and noticed a lot of interest from fellow Americans as well. With the score 2-1 in favor of Canada and less than a minute to go, I left the restaurant figuring the game was a foregone conclusion. By the time I got in my car and turned the radio on, there was the Westwood One announcer ecstatic over Team USA's game tying goal with 24 seconds left. It was anybody's game in sudden death overtime. Canada ultimately prevailed with Sidney Crosby's goal. Many Americans may have been disappointed, but I wasn't one of them. While hoping for a USA win, if anyone else deserved hockey gold it was Canada. I admit to being a major fan of many things Canadian anyway. It was high hockey drama. And what NHL team does Sidney Crosby play for? The Pittsburgh Penguins.

No comments:

Post a Comment