Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Tricky Disease

Bullseye Lyme Disease  Rash
A trip to my doctor's office yesterday brought some unwelcome news, but it may explain a few things.  I tested positive for Lyme Disease, which is caused by a bacteria transmitted through deer ticks.   Early last summer, I came down with some serious pain in my legs and hips.   That is around the time we are most susceptible to tick bites, and the doctor could tell it wasn't due to a more recent exposure.  I never noticed any bullseye Lyme Disease rash which is often visible after being bitten, but not everyone gets this symptom.  At first I thought it was the result of overdoing my walk each night, but the pain never really went away after slowing down my exercise routine.   I do know that for the next three weeks I'll be taking the antibiotic Doxycycline.   Assuming I can tolerate that without side effects - they tell me to eat yogurt with it - I look forward to feeling better in time for the end of this crazy winter.   Lyme Disease masks itself in so many ways.   Early detection can prevent more serious complications.  

No comments:

Post a Comment