Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Done with WBMW

Thus ends a colorful chapter in my life known as my association with Red Wolf Broadcasting. I am no longer on the morning show at WBMW. When I was laid off from WDRC in 2002 after 8 years there, I figured that was it as far as radio was concerned. I had reached the "Big D" in Hartford that so many baby boomers like me had grown up with. It had come full circle. My direct mail advertising sales travels took me to Ledyard Center one day in 2003. An advertising trade agreement between WBMW and The Extra & The Advertiser shopper news turned quite unintentionally into another gradual resurrection of my radio career. The high point of my experience there was the Glenn & Rebecca Wakeup Club. With Rebecca's sudden departure, it was clear that the good old days were gone. That kind of on air rapport doesn't often or quickly replicate itself.
This blog has often been about WBMW, but I also found it to be more of a journal for posting my take on what's going on. As I focus on those "little mailers that could" - The Extra & The Advertiser - and put the 4:00 AM wakeup calls happily behind me, I look forward to continuing these ramblings and musings through www.theextralive.com.

4 comments:

  1. Glenn,
    I have enjoyed listening to you and Rebecca for my morning commute to Old Saybrook. I was saddened when suddenly Rebecca's sunny voice was gone. But never did I think you would follow so soon. I wish you well in this next part of your journey. The morning show is not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I'll pass along your comments to Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now done with WBMW. I used to listen in the AM and afternoon on my way home from work. I stopped listening in the afternoon when they got rid of Jody. I was sad when Rebecca left but still enjoyed listening to you. Now that you are gone, I don't listen at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While flattered, I'm certainly not leading any movement to boycott WBMW. The Glenn & Rebecca Wakeup Club gave me some of my best years in radio. Program director Brian Ram and others have worked hard to take all the stations to greater heights. I'm especially proud of him. Sometimes things just happen.

    ReplyDelete