Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Radio is great, but...

I know it sounds strange, but there were many times during my years in broadcasting when I'd be looking around in a crowd of people and think, "Wow, all these people who never get to go on the radio!" As crazy as that sounds - and as changeable as the business always has been - it did feel like a privilege to communicate with people on a professional level. It's hard not to base our identity on what we do for a living. That can be especially true in broadcasting. When people talk about overblown radio egos, I really can't relate. A layoff or firing from a radio station can be a real lesson in humility. It's a lesson that I've had to learn more than once. Unless you've led an unusually charmed life with total job stability, a backup plan makes total sense for that day when you no longer get to crack the microphone. Think of the most amazing people you've ever known. Is it because of what they do for a living or what kind of person they are? Does being number one in the ratings necessarily make a person extraordinary? I know I've never liked someone just because they were in radio. It's what I find out about their character when I get to know them.

3 comments:

  1. Glenn, i have listened to you and Rebecca for a long time and was saddened when she left and now you are gone too. The morning show is not even remotely close to be being the same.....I will not disparage Teresa but i will be finding another station in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Glenn,
    I wish you and Rebecca well.
    I never heard why Rebecca left, can you fill me in on that??
    If not, I just hope she is okay and just decided to be a stay at home Mom.
    Sincerely, Joann (fan of your show)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't speak for Rebecca, but I do speak with her often. The hour commutes each way, early wakeups and a baby at home would seem reasons enough to call it quits after a successful three year run. She's fine. You never know where we'll turn up! Thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete