Sunday, March 7, 2010

National Procrastination Week

A teacher of mine once said, "He who procrastinates is lost." We'll analyze that in a moment. I read where there is a National Procrastinators Society that was supposed to have had their meeting in January but put it off until this month. This past week was designated National Procrastinators Week, and in keeping with that I put off discussing it until the week was over. On the procrastination scale, I'm somewhere in the middle, but I'm often putting some important things on the back burner while being relentlessly efficient at other things that may not even be so essential. Why? I just like doing some things more than others. Maybe it's the time of year, but lately I wonder if I'm putting things off more than usual. My program director is the least procrastinating person on the planet, so anyone would pale in comparison to those standards - even someone who prides himself in being a "go to guy." I do know it was a good feeling to have a day off from work, a good night's sleep and beautiful weather to get things done around the house yesterday. That was a step in the right direction, clearing the mind by realigning priorities. On the other hand, I refuse to beat myself up for not coming through every day like that. My mother has said more than once, "If you want something done, ask a busy person." That's true, but even busy people have to lower the bar from time to time. In that sense, procrastination may have gotten an unnecessarily bad name when it means stopping to smell the roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment