Friday, January 29, 2010

The MIghty Toyota

I've become my father - sort of. I now own the same model car my father did at this age. His Toyota Corolla (left) was the first and only car he bought new. Its gas economy came in handy after the first oil embargo of the seventies. Back then, I had a very sporty gas guzzling '67 Plymouth Satellite, followed by a more sensible Dodge. When it looked like gas would hit $2 a gallon by the end of 1980, I opted for my first Japanese car: a very basic Plymouth Arrow (Mitsubishi), then two Mazdas, a Nissan Altima good for 250,000 miles, and now my Toyota. The gas pedal recall seems to have spared my 2007 Corolla, but this news has got to be shaking the very foundation of what had been an invincible brand for decades. Connecticut's Attorney General has claimed that Toyota has been slow in informing car owners about the gas pedal defect and what to do about it. Toyota can do a lot more damage control now than by letting a communication breakdown ruin their quality reputation. Millions have heeded the call to "Get your hands on a Toyota. You'll never let go!" My father loved his Toyota, and I love mine. Don't toy with our affections.

No comments:

Post a Comment