Tuesday, September 7, 2010

So Long, Summer

Summer is over, no matter what the calendar says.   If summer's your season, the weather certainly didn't disappoint.  As for myself, summer seldom has ever lived up to the hype.   The commercials always tell us it's time for "summer fun."   I'll decide that, thank you.  While I have boyhood summer memories of something vaguely similar to those beach movies from the swingin' sixties and managed to fit in a few nice vacation trips as an adult, I rarely feel sad about its passing.   The time between Labor Day and Halloween is usually my favorite.   There's still plenty of daylight and mild weather without the ragweed, sunburn, mosquitoes and shoreline crowds.   Call me a Summer Scrooge.  Give me a crisp September day at a fair over midsummer air quality alerts anyday.   I remember climbing Mount Monadnock in southern New Hampshire in October 1995 and thinking it doesn't get any better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment