Thursday, October 1, 2009

Penguins At My Back

One thing I'm always impressed by at Mystic Aquarium & Institute for Exploration - other than the variety of marine animals - is the level of professionalism shown by the staff. It is truly a labor of love. Rebecca and I always enjoy sharing what's happening here with our listeners. We were on hand for the penguin races last Friday. The little guys faced off in heats of three, and these African penguins seemed more interested in the crowd than getting quickly to the finish line. One of the penguins waiting to race decided it would be more fun to nip at my back! He stuck his neck out and gave me what felt like the pinch of my life. I let out an audible "ouch" before the penguin's handler got him under control. Earlier that morning, we were just commenting on how soft and docile they were. Despite the surprise, it was "no skin off my back." They did take me to a medical room, but I wasn't even bleeding. For some reason, everybody back at the station thought it was the funniest thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment