Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Most Unusual Thing I Did in 2008

It had to be the Morning Show Sumo Suit Wrestling Challenge June 20th at Dodd Stadium in Norwich. I'm normally a peaceful person and haven't been in a fight since age 12. The person who issued the on-air challenge - our program director who also hosts the Jammin' 107-7 show next door to Soft Rock 106.5 - isn't exactly Hulk Hogan either. That's why the smackdown hype on both stations before this minor league baseball halftime event was especially ridiculous. Even though I'm in my mid 50s and Brian "Body Slam" Ram was 30, I figured I had the weight advantage. That really didn't help much since those heavy sumo suits would weigh anyone down. These getups aren't as light and marshmallowy as they look! "TKO'Brien" - yours truly - won best two out of three falls, for whatever that is worth. It was a unique experience and has been good for lots of inter-station trash talk between "that punk" and this "senior citizen." As Brian said immediately after, "There's one for the bucket list!" Yes, once is enough! Will a morning show dance-off be next? I issued that challenge, but don't hold your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment