Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I'll Never Know



Most past relationships at least have the benefit of closure. I can think of one that barely got started and ended before I knew what hit me. It was about this time of year back in college, a snowy day in New Hampshire at the end of the semester. There was a long line in front of the dining hall when a big snowball fight broke out and scattered everybody. A girl I hadn't seen around campus before had become separated from her friends and ended up next to me and my roommate. She immediately struck up this very deep conversation with me. I was terminally shy back then, but our talk was so intense over dinner that I remember my roommate being totally excluded from everything. I don't know if you can find a soulmate that quickly or if there can be love at first sight, but it was different from anything up to that point and I dare say anything since. She told me she would be leaving school the next day, but I figured I'd see her again. Hey, I had her campus address. Well, I went there only to find she had already left. At the time, I told myself that was just the way it was meant to be. Ever since, I've wondered whether or not I let the best thing happen to me walk out of my life. It was a very short chapter in my life, but remains the biggest "what if?" since that snowy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment