Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Big E - Just One Difference

At Big E Radio Booth - But Nobody's Here
The Eastern States Exposition - The Big E in West Springfield, Massachusetts - is the sixth largest fair in the USA and the biggest on the Eastern Seaboard.    Its bigness isn't the only thing that doesn't change much over time, so it's not a destination I feel the need to visit every year.    That consistency provides something comforting about making the hour journey up there.   I know that was especially true right after 9/11/01.  That was when I did some remote broadcasts on WDRC from the Connecticut Building on the Avenue of the States, my favorite section.   It was such a relief getting out of the solitary studio and being among thousands of other people trying to deal with one of the most shocking chapters in American history.   Maybe I missed it at an unmanned "Big E Radio Booth", but I didn't see any radio stations live on location during my visit.    Perhaps it says a lot about how broadcasting has changed.   Maybe the listeners don't miss it, but this was one opportunity for broadcasters to get out of their isolated studios in a big and interactive way you don't get at a car dealer or furniture store remote.    The rest of the Big E continues to offer unusual and high ticket products, livestock galore and food that is all certifiably unhealthy.   I didn't try something called Fried Kool-Aid, sticking with your basic hot dog and soft serve cone.   My wallet still managed to feel a lot lighter afterwards.   See you later in a few years, Big E!     

No comments:

Post a Comment