Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Most Pain

They say it's the worst pain you can experience unless you're a woman going through childbirth.  I'll take their word for it about giving birth, but I can personally vouch for the extreme pain experienced with kidney stones.   When the pain suddenly hit me after 8:00 Sunday night and I drove to the Marlborough Clinic through driving rain, I figured it out.   That was due to the fact that I had an earlier episode of kidney stones in 1998 when I was finishing up at work.  That time, I thought it was appendicitis and barely managed to drive myself through rush hour traffic to Hartford Hospital.   I could barely stay conscious, doubled over in agony when I got there.  They diagnosed the stones, heavily medicated me and eventually sent me out into the late night only to have to call 9-1-1 from where I'd been housesitting.   Hours and much morphine later from Bay State Medical in Springfield, I got a cab back to the house along with a pain prescription.   While the worst pain was behind me, the discomfort lasted days until I passed the stone.   That part was easy.   A kidney stone is most excruciating when it is stuck in the ureter tude between the kidney and bladder.   I can say this week's episode was somewhat less intense than 14 years ago, but on a pain scale of one to ten it's easily an eight.   The new stone has already moved south, so that in itself is a welcome relief!  

No comments:

Post a Comment