Sunday, December 27, 2009

My Favorite Song?

Yes, I've heard it a million times. Yes, there are lyrics in other songs with deeper meaning. Never mind all that. "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd means a lot to me. On a personal note, it represented an important time of change in my life. It was 1974. In my early twenties, I decided to go away to college and explore this whole radio thing. It was a time of change and coming of age. Why this 1974 song? To me, it just symbolized a newfound freedom. Unlike much of album rock, it never took itself too seriously. While I think Neil Young is brilliant, I appreciated the good natured criticism of Neil's solemn "Alabama." Of course, I also remember that song blasting out of dorm rooms at school. When I took a trip to Birmingham in 1996, it dawned on me how much of our pop culture often spurns the Deep South. "Sweet Home Alabama" calls out for a little regional respect. By the way, "Watergate does not bother me..." either, since it proved the system can work. There's a youthful optimism that brings back the best of 1970s nostalgia to me. Does that mean I spend lots of time listening to classic rock radio? Not really, even though I know every song. I like to look back nostalgically on 1974 from time to time - not remain permanently in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment