Sunday, May 10, 2009

Terms That Make Many Men Uncomfortable


In the hit comedy movie "I Love You, Man", the main character played by Paul Rudd is getting married and is facing the dilemma of not having a best man. He has no male friends. I can't relate. I have never gotten as far as marriage, for one thing. Don't even try to analyze that one. On the other hand, I have been blessed by more than a few good and even close friends, both male and female. And guess what - we even talk about things. Like most guys, I've always hogged the remote and refused to ask for directions, but apparently I'm a rare breed. Is this the part where I profess my heterosexuality? That seems to be the case when a lot of straight males get anywhere near the subject of close male friends. It does make a lot of men uncomfortable. Calling it "bromance" doesn't help. I'm squirming a bit right now. The mere acknowledgement that another guy might be good looking can also prompt that reaction. While mentioning that Hugh Jackman's looks had a lot to do with the success of his movie "Wolverine," a TV movie reviewer had to preface it by saying, "Speaking as a heterosexual male..." The new term "man crush" is supposed to mean straight men wanting to hang out with another guy who seems pretty cool. That's all it means, but I could see how that could be misconstrued. To quote Seinfeld: "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment