Friday, March 27, 2009

Joe O'Brien - A Nice Guy


My father - on the left, shown here in 1947 with his brother Jack - was happy to lead a simple life. He was a second generation Irish American who grew up in the Fair Haven section of New Haven, served in the Navy during World War II, married in 1949 and moved the family to suburban North Branford in 1957. He worked contentedly at U.S. Motors in Milford for 21 years until the recession of 1969 hit. Job security was never quite the same after that. He had health issues too, but my father was never one to complain. Joe O'Brien coped with life's travails through an incredibly corny sense of humor, chatting with the neighbors, puttering around the house and tinkering with the family car. His "come what may" attitude sometimes drove my mother crazy - she was more the worrier. He never acted disappointed in me or my brother, and I often wondered what his expectations really were. It was only after he died March 27, 1978 - a few days short of his 57th birthday - that I learned how much he would brag to people about "his sons." He was the definition of unconditional love. He left us much too soon, but if he had regrets about his life they would be news to us.

4 comments:

  1. Glenn, I'm not sure you'll remember me - I'm Rosanne, Frank Pagano's sister (you remember him, right? Gary's childhood friend from the neighborhood). I'm writing from my home of 25 years in Anchorage, Alaska, where we spend a lot of time indoors if ash is falling.

    Gary sent Frank the link to your remembrance about your father and Frank sent it to me. I've just finished reading it and I wanted to compliment you for the thoughtful tribute. Your father's sense of humor (?!) was memorable and lives on in your ability to sum him up with gentle fun

    Best to you, Glenn.

    /Rosanne Pagano
    Anchorage, Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this wonderful photo of the brothers, Glenn, and that's an excellent description of your dad -- my Uncle Joe -- as I remember him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember your father, my Uncle Joe, as a gentle spirit and a good man. What a beautiful picture of your Dad and my Dad
    - Cousin Tusie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember your father, my Uncle Joe, as a gentle spirit and a good man. What a beautiful picture of your Dad and my Dad
    - Cousin Tusie

    ReplyDelete