Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Seven years later...



We all remember where we were on that sunny September morning of 9-11-01. Working the evening shift at a Hartford radio station, I slept right through the live coverage of the attacks themselves. When I finally woke up at 10:15 a.m. and immediately got the news, all I could think of was the magnitude of the tragedy and how this changes everything. I usually follow the news very closely, but I had to get away from it for awhile and try to get on with some normal routine. When I got in my car to go to work at 4:45 that day, I was shocked to hear the station I worked at going back to a music format and away from wall to wall network coverage. I didn't know how I was going to keep it together doing a live music show that night. Somehow I managed, but it got to be too much when I came on after the President's address. That was the only time I've ever cried on the air. The calls from that night were absolutely heart wrenching. The days and nights that followed weren't much easier, but a new normalcy establishes itself. Time heals many things, but we will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment