Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Winter Whining?

I recently saw a post from a Facebook friend complaining about people complaining.   In this case, he was sick of hearing people acting all upset over the wintry weather, suggesting these malcontents could shut up and relocate to a warmer climate.    After all, it is winter in New England.   What did you expect?    That made sense to me most of my life, when cold temperatures and heavy snowfalls were not unprecedented.   This season, however, brought a nonstop combination of low temps and heavy snow accumulations that I don't remember in all of my not so short lifetime.  
 
A little cabin fever is one thing, but any year when you have to dig yourself out from 100 inches of snow, pay hundreds to some guys to shovel your roof and still get a leak in the den ceiling is not my idea of an average winter.   Maybe this is par for the course 400 miles to our north, but four out of the past five winters have been unrelenting around here.   Sky high fuel bills, commuting in a business where your presence is especially required during storms and a few chance encounters between my car and an icy snow bank all add up to serious business.   This has also been the slowest February/March ever for businesses I call on for our direct mail ad publications.   If you want to gripe a bit, don't let me stop you.   Maybe this will help us all appreciate the arrival of spring... and milder winters ahead.    When people stop complaining, that's really when we need to worry.   Remember, you won't hear too many discouraging words in North Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment