Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Radio Prime Time

It's been this way for decades.   "Morning drive" remains radio's prime time slot for most radio stations and their respective formats.   I remember a time when local TV stations and even most FM stations considered early morning shows such a throwaway that they sometimes barely bothered to sign on.   Now, radio tries to hold its own against a slew of local TV stations that vie for attention as early as 4:00 AM.    Who are these viewers?    At least radio reporters and entertainers only have to sound the part, but what special breed of media people get all dressed up in front of cameras at 4:00 in what's still the middle of the night?    Wasn't radio prime time early enough kicking off at 5:30?   Go back to bed!   

Morning radio can be an absolute blast even when sleep deprivation hits and I'm running on pure adrenaline.   Experience a string of sleepless nights like I have this week and it gets really old.   I'm genuinely excited to fill in on various morning radio shows, including this time around on WILI.   By day three of my insomniac state, those weird sports names get harder to spit out.  Wayne Norman has been the morning guy there for over 43 years.   How on Earth does he do it?    How did I do it for as much as four years at a clip?   During the summer, my "day guy" (as Jerry Seinfeld put it) really ends up paying for what my "night guy" fails to do right.  Honestly, I'm not taking caffeine in the evening or going out partying late.   Someone please tell my brain to stop racing at 10:00 PM!

No comments:

Post a Comment