Sunday, May 4, 2014

Better Now Than Later

A hospital visit is seldom anyone's preferred destination, but I knew my last bout of lightheadedness was nothing to ignore.   My blood pressure would drop dramatically after I walked up an incline or stood up quickly, mostly in the morning.   While my two-day visit to Middlesex Hospital in Middletown didn't conclusively reveal a connection between the feeling I was about to pass out with a cardiac condition, an irregular heartbeat was detected.   There's no indication of an immediate need for any emergency procedure, so I was sent home (where I could sleep a lot better) with a heart monitor while being put on a blood thinner to reduce a risk of stroke. On one hand, there are plenty of adults who have these heart conditions and operations like pacemaker implants are very common.   By the same token, even the most minimally invasive procedure involving one's ticker can be a little scary.   We should unravel more of my cardiac mystery over the next month.   For now, I'll just keep doing what I do.   I'm no health nut, but it's better to be proactive about this than facing bigger consequences later.

By the way, Middlesex Hospital care is second to none.   Unlike the common stereotype about hospital food, I ate every morsel and enjoyed every bite!    That said, I'm not anxious for a return trip to soon.   Hey, I just got married a year ago today.   There are still some quality living I'd like to do.      

No comments:

Post a Comment