Thursday, December 19, 2013

Memorable Radio Interviews

Peter Noone
I saw a radio blog post asking folks in the business, "Who was your favorite interview?"   The bulk of respondents really raved about how nice and down to earth country artists have been.   That was certainly the case when I talked with Ronnie Milsap in the eighties.   Rockers got mixed reviews.    I never thought of myself as primarily an interviewer.   That is partly because I've always had more of a passion for programming music (a dying art) and reporting news.   I also have a secret terror of sounding like a discussion went way longer than it needed to go, but over the years a lot of interviews come to mind.    My very first interview was folk rocker David Bromberg at my college station.   As with anything I do for the first time, I was very uncomfortable.   Through the years, I had many chats with politicians and civic leaders and learned a lot at a station I programmed - WLAD/Danbury, CT - from the midday talk show host Rhoda Daum whose show I produced.   I also got to see firsthand how Brad Davis at WDRC/Hartford handled some big name personalities back in the day like Johnny Cash, Andy Williams and Bobby Vinton.   Listen and learn.
 
My favorite interview was from my WDRC-FM days.   Peter Noone - Herman of Herman's Hermits - stopped by our studio before his headlining performance at out daylong Big D Oldies Fest in 1996.   He rolled so well through whatever I and the crowd of fans threw at him.   It was the fastest and most fun twelve minutes of my radio career.   Some recorded interviews can take a strange twist.   Rebecca Morse Whitten and I once talked with singer Andrea Boccelli at WBMW.   His English was very rough, so I edited it so thoroughly that he sounded fluent!     The worst interview?   Let's just say I never want to deal with a certain WNBA team again.    

No comments:

Post a Comment