Wednesday, October 9, 2013

He Cared

Connecticut is known as the Land of Steady Habits, and mornings have been radio prime time for decades.   That may help explain why many Connecticut morning radio hosts have occupied their air chairs for decent amounts of time in a business where longevity is rare.    Jerry Kristafer had been the wakeup guy and best known personality at Hartford's WDRC-FM 102.9 for over twenty of the past thirty years.   Last Friday was Jerry's last day at the "Big D", where he was the station's most familiar personality from 1982 to 1997.   He returned to 'DRC-FM in 2007 after a  ten-year morning stint at WELI/New Haven.     I remember hearing his debut on the old WCDQ/Hamden in 1977 as "Crazy Jerry" with his time-telling pig!
 
WDRC turned out to be my radio home longer than anyplace else.  I spent four months back in 1995 as morning newsman for and Brad Davis on WDRC-AM and Jerry on the FM.   Brad, Jerry and the powers that be were very positive about my performance in the morning, so the FM program director Frank Holler decided to put me in with Jerry as a sidekick or perhaps a co-host (I'm still not sure).   That move was not welcomed by Jerry, who'd been made to feel that he was "training his replacement" given the strained relationship he had with Frank.   I can still understand why Jerry felt that way, but if the plan was to make yours truly the new morning guy then it was news to me.    After six months of less than stellar on air chemistry I jumped at management's offer to take the evening shift.   I do know Jerry was appreciative of the job I did as music director; not everyone shared that appreciation.    Jerry could be rough around the edges to people, but he was toughest on himself and one of the more honest and hardworking people I've known in radio.   He cared a lot about the community, using his stage to promote the Connecticut Children's Medical Center and other good causes.    I know his dedication to those causes will continue whether or not he has a morning radio show.   His name will also be the one most associated with WDRC-FM for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment