Tuesday, June 18, 2013

$140.00... For What?

It seemed like a simple procedure.   We clearly needed storage space, so we took a trip over to Carefree Small Buildings here in Colchester and found a nice 8"x12".   They also set us up with some paperwork so we could get a building permit from the town.   At first I thought we'd have to pay $60 to the regional health district.   Then I was informed I didn't have to pay till it was approved.   I then got a letter saying they couldn't process the request because we didn't pay some unspecified fee, meaning another trip to town hall.   Upon my return I was told, "Who sent you this?"   They said my building was small enough to be exempt from the health district fee.   I got a call today saying my permit was approved and the cost is $140.00!   Where did that figure come from?   If there's that much confusion over a storage shed less than 100 square feet, I can't imagine what I'd be dealing with for a real building.   I know everybody wants their pound of flesh, but could I have gotten a hint of the cost ahead of time?   Oh well, I went this far.  
P.S.:  When I went to pay for the permit, I was informed that $60.00 of it was a state-imposed charge "special" to Connecticut.   Also, the town's addition was wrong; it was actually $151.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment