Sunday, September 9, 2012

Morgan Freeman Not Dead

Morgan Freeman
I have developed a healthy skepticism about anything posted on Facebook.   Earlier today, a post from a Facebook friend directed to my name asking me to click on a photo album turned out to be the work of a hacker.   Now I see a post from another FB friend saying Morgan Freeman had died Thursday of "a artery rupture."   The poor grammar was my first clue that the story was suspect.   The cruel post also asked everyone to click "like" to pay your respects.   When I didn't see any other posts from legitimate news organizations (or Fox News), I Googled Morgan Freeman to learn that this was the latest in a series of online celebrity death hoaxes.   One less credible website did give his date of death as September 12, 2012... That was weird.   We can all breathe a sigh of relief that as of now this talented man is still with us and as productive as ever.   I tend to be a trusting person, but anonymous internet misinformation along with the half truths and outright lies our politicians right say into the camera breed more than a hint of cynicism in the most naive of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment