Monday, August 20, 2012

Quebec: La Belle Provence

Opposite the Quebec Parliament, Quebec City
Some folks go to the same vacation spots year after year.   I'd rather spend my limited vacation time exploring a different spot each trip, but I made an exception by returning to this beautiful city I last visited back in 1995.  For all its old world European charm, the Quebec City area appeared to have grown considerably.  The heavy traffic and ever present highway construction provided the best evidence of that.   I'm not sure whether or not my attempts at French past "bon jour" made for more confusion than just starting off in English.   In this nerve center of French Canadian culture where Quebec fleur-du-lis flags seem to outnumber Canadian maple leaf ones, it seemed appropriate to at least make the initial attempt.   I never got far in the Francophone world, as they'd hand us English language menus after I said two words.   Most locals will oblige in English.   There's something so high-class about being surrounded by French speakers in even the more moderately priced Quebec chain restaurants like St-Hubert (great chicken and mini desserts!) and Normandin (nice hotels too).   The big attraction is downtown Old (Vieux) Quebec itself, full of cafes, shoppes, live music and historic treasures.   Nightlife in Old Quebec has to be experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment