Monday, June 25, 2012

Social Networks Need Social Filters

Someone on my Facebook recently posted about how much they were looking forward to getting out of town for a certain period of time.   They returned from their vacation to find their home robbed, and they think it was done by someone they know.    We're glad you could get away, but please wait to share this information with Facebook friends (or Twitter followers) after you get back home.   How well do you know every one of what may be hundreds of online friends?   I see this inside information posted all the time now that summer has arrived.    There are other forms of posting that may be less dangerous but just as unnecessary.   Now that I can control the Facebook settings, I can't say I miss seeing everyone's progress playing Farmville.  The pictures of the kids, pets, friends and co-workers are fine.   I don't even mind a few opinion pieces, but the relentless angry rants trashing people who may disagree comes across as an assault on my Facebook page.   So you can't stand Obama - I picked that up fifteen posts ago.   At least on this blog you have the option of ignoring my rants; I'm not splashing them all over someone else's personal page.   And please, just because I ignore your request to repost something "if you care" doesn't mean I don't care.   I just don't care to make my Facebook into a chain letter.   Many people lack a face-to-face social filter.   We can't always expect their social network filter to be any better, but I can hope so for my sake and sometimes for theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment