Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Unreal Weather

Daffodil
As we say goodbye to Old Man Winter, it feels as if we hardly got to know him this time around. Last winter the opposite was true. There was no need for those roof rakes just purchased last year as this final full winter's day had the thermometer shooting to 78 degrees in central Connecticut, easily smashing the old record high. People are breaking out the lawn care products and patio furniture as the daffodils pop up well ahead of schedule. One of the biggest harbingers of Spring was last week's unprecedented early opening of Harry's Place hot dog and hamburger stand here in Colchester. While Harry's has never been known for health food, there are plenty of opportunities to walk it off with weather forecasts looking more like California than New England.   Can anyone remember a mild March like this?   I can't. This is usually my least favorite month, but at this rate I'll have to rethink the whole "beware the Ides of March" thing.   It does make me wonder what this summer's heat will bring before I stop myself from being a Gloomy Gus and figure we've somehow earned this.   Don't stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment