Saturday, February 25, 2012

Talk Radio - Plunging Right In

It was only a week and a half ago when Kevin O'Connor, our program director here at 102.3 The Wolf, asked me if I could step in at least temporarily to host the 6-9 a.m. morning show on our sister station WXLM, a news/talker at 980 AM. Within days, I was filling the time slot just vacated by Lee Elci. A new FM news talker in the market had given Lee an offer he felt he couldn't pass up. Thanks to Lee and WXLM management, the departure was on good terms. That being said, some decisions have to be made about the long term direction of the WXLM morning show. I've always been proud to be a "go to guy" who can be counted on to come through in a pinch, and I've indicated an interest in staying with the show beyond the status of temporary guest host. That is management's call, and I can respect whatever they decide. Whether it lasts long term or a couple of weeks, I am not trying to fill Lee's shoes. As he said, his show took years to evolve. It's the person who makes the position, not the other way around. The fans who want to follow Lee down the dial will do that. We hope listeners will continue to turn to WXLM as a leading choice for news and talk, and I'll do what I can to insure that. I know there's a lot of on the job training involved and three hours is a lot of time for me to talk, but news guy Nick Giuliano is great at chiming in as an important part of the show. I look forward to adding a few guests in studio and hope more folks will pick up the phone and interact. For now, we take it day by day as I continue to find new horizons in this hobby of mine gone haywire called radio. Listen online at www.wxlm.fm.

No comments:

Post a Comment