Saturday, December 3, 2011

Radio Flashback: Lite 100.5 WRCH

By April 1988, I had just been through a couple of operations and programming positions at New England radio stations that left me with my fill of middle management in radio. That was when WRCH/WRCQ program director Warren Schroeger called me about doing some part-time work. At the same time, I was getting involved in media sales through Shore Line Newspapers, a division of ABC/Cap Cities. I figured a big signal up the road would be a good place to keep my hand in radio. Like numerous other radio experiences, it grew into much more than originally intended.   Radio Park in Farmington was one of Connecticut's nicer radio properties, with the FM in its last days as instrumental-based easy listening WRCH and the AM nearing the end of its road as adult standards WRCQ.    I did the first full live airshift on the new "Lite 100.5" and expected a torrent of calls protesting the change, but that was thankfully not the case.   When my future as an ad salesman was in doubt, I accepted a full-time offer to host the afternoon drive slot on WRCH only to get downsized 13 months later.    I spent time during my layoff down the dial filling in at the new Mix 93.7 WZMX.   During that time, a new GM was hired to turn things around at WRCH.   I got rehired in 1992 as the host of the evening show "Pillow Talk".    Talk about some lovelorn callers! I still remember the night a rat decided to keep me company and when lightning tore through the studio, knocking the AM off the air.   After getting moved back to afternoons and becoming music director, the axe would eventually fall again in September 1993.   I attribute it to the new GM not liking me (hard to imagine!) even though he never knew me well.   Maybe I should have "played the game" more, but I'm a crappy suckup.   For WRCH, the new format eventually became a ratings and revenue monster, reaching new heights after a direct format competitor decided to go after someone else.   Under CBS ownership, it remains a major force in Hartford. 

No comments:

Post a Comment