Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What's Truly Scary?

State Representative Tim Larson wants to designate the last Saturday in October as Halloween in Connecticut. That would certainly make sense to have it on a night when children don't have to think about things like homework and parents probably have enough other things to do during the work week. That's all well and good, but then it strikes me like a lightning bolt: Don't politicians have other issues to deal with in the middle of this nasty recession? It strikes me as grandstanding while other more serious problems need the attention of lawmakers. It's bad timing, Mr. Larson.

Politicians are scaring most of us these days, and for good reason. What else scares you? Most "scary" characters I see on TV or in movies really come across as lame. Alfred Hitchcock, a man who scared many moviegoers over the years and pioneering the whole "angry birds" thing, said policemen scared him because they had the ability to take away his freedom. I confess to a fear of heights. Last winter when I had to climb a ladder to clear snow off a roof, I had this feeling of dizziness and didn't get too far. Clearing leaves from gutters gives me a feeling of "vertigo", to borrow from Hitchcock again. Yes, I admit to acrophobia. Being in broadcasting for years, I have always been in awe of anyone who can climb a radio or TV tower. It's strange, though. I have little problem with airplanes as long as there's no turbulence. I love roller coasters because my feet are still planted on something solid, but forget about those big amusement park flying swings. OK, I'm not fearless, but at least I take comfort in knowing my fear is more rational than some folks' phobias. What yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment