Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Learning By Doing

If there's one stereotypical guy trait I exhibit, it's the reluctance to ask for directions.   People can explain it or leave the most exhaustive written instructions, but I have to immerse myself in something to actually figure my way around it.   Then once I do it successfully I never forget it.  I've gotten comfortable with doing a live weekend rock radio show at the very visible Mohegan Sun studio of 102.3 The Wolf (WMOS).  Now, a new element has been added to my duties this week as I do afternoon fill-in 3-8pm for Kevin O'Connor.   Kevin is also the very busy operations manager for Citadel's four-station New London cluster.  He asked me to merge and print the combined music and commercial logs for The Wolf while he takes a well-deserved week off.   I last worked with their type of music software way back in 1993 before anyone ever heard of Windows or the internet.  That was the easy part.  Figuring out how to transfer data between three computers that don't really communicate with each other meant I had to be constantly on the phone with some patient people in the New London offices who have plenty of their own things to do while trying to focus on my show too.  As I enter the third day of this new undertaking, I think I've finally gotten it!   I'm looking forward to returning to being my low maintenance self again.      

No comments:

Post a Comment