Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Sonic Experience

Commercials for Sonic Drive-in restaurants have been seen in Connecticut on cable channels for years, but Sonic did not have any locations here.  Those shakes looked so tempting too!  That all changed July 14th with the opening of the first Connecticut Sonic in Wallingford.   There were special traffic advisories in anticipation of the throngs of fast food fanatics who were expected to converge on this spot on Route 5 off the Wilbur Cross Parkway - did they ever.   I was visiting someone nearby and had to check out the mob scene up the road, but there was no way I was going to enter that fast food fray.   They get an "A" in traffic control, but I can't imagine waiting an hour or two or three just to get the first crack at what are still drive-in hamburgers, shakes and fries - carhops or no carhops.   Six months ago in Fort Myers, Florida, I felt compelled to see what all the Sonic fuss was all about and pulled into a Sonic twice during my week there.   I did love their smoothies and the whole retro atmosphere.  That was all well and good, but it wasn't the high point of my culinary experiences while on vacation.  What I witnessed driving past the new Wallingford Sonic last weekend reminded me of the traffic jams on the Berlin Turnpike stretch of Routes 5/15 when Krispy Kreme Doughnuts came to our fair state.  That store is now long gone.  After the Sonic experience spreads to Manchester and then all across Connecticut, I hope they don't go the way of Krispy Kreme around here.  I loved those hot donuts and at least they're still in Mohegan Sun, but with their rapid regional rise and fall it makes me wonder if they were also cooking the books.      

No comments:

Post a Comment