Thursday, June 3, 2010

National Donut Day


Happy National Donut Day on this first Friday in June!  The idea was created by the Salvation Army in 1938 to honor the women who served donuts to soldiers during World War I.   Donuts have always been one of my biggest guilty pleasures.  I was devastated when I couldn't find the vanilla filled glazed Krispy Kremes in their Mohegan Sun shops anymore, but the raspberry "filled" that void pretty well.    Now that I am on doctor's orders to watch my glucose levels, I can't say that this national holiday is as much fun as it used to be.  That doesn't mean I want to ban this calorie-laden day, but haven't Americans been emulating Homer Simpson's dietary habits regularly enough?   Since I now have to avoid these incredibly rich indulgences like the plague, I admit to being a killjoy at least on this day.  While I guess an occasional treat is fine for many folks, I am not the only one who has reached for a donut one too many times.  The donut shops will still get my coffee business (with cream and three Splenda), but I plan on skipping the donuts and other baked goods.   This is the part where I sigh but take heart in the knowledge that there's an entire National Salad Week in the middle of summer.  I know - it's not the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment