Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Radio Flashback: Radio 80 WLAD

It wasn't the biggest station I ever worked at, but it was the most memorable.  When I see what has since happened to local AM radio, the full service format and the role of a program director, I feel even more fortunate to have had the chance to be the PD of "Greater Danbury's Radio Station" at WLAD.   It was in an old hotel, and there was nothing luxurious about it.   There were no windows anywhere on the fourth floor of 198 Main Street in downtown Danbury - just old fluorescent lights - but there was no time to gaze out a window and daydream as time went by so quickly for me between November 1983 and June 1987.  There was never a dull moment for this 30-year-old guy who felt he had something to prove at WLAD.   For the most part, there was room to do a lot.  General manager Bob Putnam let me do my thing, make my mistakes (just a few!) and hopefully move things forward.  Unlike today when technology often trumps people, WLAD had a full staff: a three-person full-time news team, a sports director, a midday talk show host with a producer and live air talent evenings and weekends.   We didn't have a production or promotions director, so creative spots and contests were a challenge we had to spread around.  It worked, although I admit to having a few sleepless nights thinking about how to get things to the next level.  My worrying was pointless - the people there made it happen.  We even had a direct competitor across town at WINE, and I loved the fact that they were very good and wanted to knock us off so badly - nice try guys.        

2 comments:

  1. Glenn, just stumbled onto your blog while trying to find a website for Red Wolf (my daughter's boyfriend is trying to find a radio job - good luck). Really enjoy the writing, especially the old radio days reminiscing. I think people forget the impact that radio has had in their lives. Some days I miss it....but then I have a DJ nightmare where I'm locked out of the station and my song is ending....pretty much cures me :-)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy. Radio or not, I do enjoy writing. I also like hearing from people I worked with back then, like this comment from AJ:
    Glenn - I wanted to say thanks. Thanks for hiring me way back in 1986 and thanks for staying true to your radio roots. Great post!
    AJ

    ReplyDelete