Saturday, November 7, 2009

Yankees Fans Celebrate


New York City was in fine form for the celebration of the Yankees' latest World Series win. I managed to make it down there yesterday and get within a few blocks of the ceremony where a newly reelected Mayor Bloomberg gave the team the keys to the city. Perhaps it was just as well that my entourage didn't get closer, since the sensation of being packed in the crowd like sardines didn't appeal to me. I've heard so much all my life about the not so appealing side of the Big Apple, but my relatively brief visit was a positive one. One thing that impressed me the most was how helpful and friendly people were. WBMW's number one Yankee fan, Charles Adams, is one guy not afraid to ask for directions, and people really came through. Another thing that stood out was the vastly improved view going through the Bronx and Harlem. When I was a kid, the South Bronx looked just like a bombed out war zone. The improvement was dramatic for someone who passes through New York so rarely. Finally, my first visit to the World Trade Center site was something I've been meaning to do for years. What impressed me most was how life goes on all around this memorial. That determination is probably the best thing people can do to honor the memory of 9/11. I'll try not to let another nine years go by before visiting New York City again.

No comments:

Post a Comment