Friday, June 12, 2009

DTV is here!


We can't say we weren't warned. The switches were flipped at stations across the country today as analog TV went away and digital broadcasts became the rule. My old 5-inch SONY Watchman is now useless as a TV, with no inputs for cable or a digital converter box. I suppose this is a quantum leap forward, but I can't help but feel some disappointment. Yes, there are potentially more channels with digital, but something is missing on the one other TV at my house not connected to cable: half the local channels! I thought I had the set on the closed-in back porch ready for DTV, but not so fast. After connecting a new $69 antenna, installing the DTV converter and scanning for over-the-air digital channels, the old 13-inch TV was not picking up a trace of the new DTV versions of Connecticut channels 3, 8, 20, 30 and 59. Forget about Providence channels. Channel 26 in New London was blasting through with three subchannels, as was 69 in Rhode Island with the same programming as 26, and Connecticut Public Television on 24 and 53. One bit of good news: Fox 61 WTIC-TV came in. At least I've still got my Simpsons and Family Guy. It's also my only option left for local news on the porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment